Yasemin Yuksel Durmaz graduated from Yildiz Technical University, Department of Chemistry in 2003. She then received her MSc and PhD degree in Istanbul Technical University, Polymer Science and Technology. Following 4 years, she worked as postdoctoral research fellow in Cellular Engineering and Nano-therapeutics Research Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan. In 2015, she joined in Istanbul Medipol University, School of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Department of Biomedical Engineering and has been directing a research laboratory namely Innovative Polymer Nanotherapeutics Research Laboratory (IPONT, http://ipont.medipol.edu.tr/). Current research interests are developing new “smart” materials for cellular drug/gene delivery, polymer nanotherapeutics and theranostics.
Honors and Awards:
- FABED “Eser Tumen” Research Award 2016, “Development of Dual Drug Delivery System for Breast Cancer”
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Research Programs, Postdoctoral Fellowship–Translational Research Grants, “Development of Targeted “Smart” Particles for Silencing the Metastases of Breast Cancer” 2011-2014.
- TUBITAK-3001; “Development of Biocompatible Graphene Platform for Biomedical Applications and Investigation of Cytotoxicity” (Principal Investigator), 2015-2016
- Tubitak 1003; “Using Drag Reducing Polymer Instead of Blood and Blood Supplies during Hemorrhagic Shock” (Principle Investigator), 2016-2019
- Tubitak 1001; “Development of Targeted, Dual-Drug Delivery System and Investigation of Anticancer Activity” (Principle Investigator), 2016-2019 (Pending)
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions-Individual Fellowship “Biocompatible Nanoplatform for Targeted Cancer Therapy” (Principle Investigator), 2017-2019 (pending)
- Formulation of acid-sensitive micelles for delivery of cabazitaxel into prostate cancer cells, Aydin, I. Youssef, Y. Y. Durmaz, G. Tiruchinapally, M. E. H. El-Sayed, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2016, 13(4), 1413-1429.
- The Effects of Droplet Composition on Nanodroplet-Mediated Histotripsy, E. Vlaisavljevich, O. Aydin, Y. Durmaz, K-W. Lin, B. Fowlkes, M. E. H. ElSayed, Z. Xu, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2016, 42 (4), 931-946.
- The role of positive and negative pressure on cavitation nucleation in nanodroplet-mediated histotripsy, E. Vlaisavljevich, O. Aydin, K-W. Lin, Y. Durmaz, B. Fowlkes, M. E. H. ElSayed, Z. Xu, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2016, 61, 663-668.
- “Smart” Nanoparticles Enhance the Cytoplasmic Delivery of Anti-RhoC silencing RNA and Inhibit the Migration and Invasion of Aggressive Breast Cancer Cells, N. Kaushal, Y. Durmaz, L. W. Bao, S. D. Merajver, M. E. H. ElSayed, Molecular Pharmaceutics 2015, 12(7), 2406-2417.
- The Effects of Ultrasound Frequency on Nanodroplet-Mediated Histotripsy, E. Vlaisavljevich, O. Aydin, K.W. Lin, Y. Durmaz, B. Fowlkes, M.E.H. ElSayed, Z. Xu, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2015, 41(8), 2135-2147.
- Development of Nanodroplets for Histotripsy-Mediated Cell Ablation, Y. Durmaz, E. Vlaisavljevich, Z. Xu, M. E. H ElSayed, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2014, 11(10), 3685-3695.
- Nanodroplet-Mediated Histotripsy for Image-guided Targeted Ultrasound Cell Ablation, Vlaisavljevich, Y. Y. Durmaz, A. Maxwell, M. E. H. ElSayed, Z. Xu, Theranostics, 2013, 3(11), 802-815.
- Synergistic Combination of Small Molecule Inhibitor and RNA interference Against Anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 Protein in Head and Neck Cancer Cells, Y-L. Lin, Y. Durmaz, J. E. Nör, M. E. H. ElSayed, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2013, 10, 2730-2738.
- Development of Degradable, pH-Sensitive Star Vectors for Enhancing the Cytoplasmic Delivery of Nucleic Acids, Y. Durmaz, Y-L. Lin, M. E. H. ElSayed, Advanced Functional Materials, 2013, 23(31), 3885-3895.
- Targeting Hepatic Cancer Cells with PEGylated Dendrimers Displaying N-Acetylgalactosamine and SP94 Peptide Ligands, H. Medina, G. Tiruchinapally, M. V. Chevliakov,
Y. Y. Durmaz, R. N. Stender, W. D. Ensminger, D. S. Shewach, M. E. H. ElSayed, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2013, 2(10), 1337-1350.
- Enzyme-Activated Nanoconjugates for Tunable Release of Doxorubicin in Hepatic Cancer Cells, S. H. Medina, M. V. Chevliakov, G. Tiruchinapally, Y. Durmaz, S. P. Kuruvilla, M. E.H. ElSayed, Biometerials, 2013, 36, 4655-4666.
- A Novel Poly(p-phenylene) Containing Alternating Poly(perfluorooctylethyl acrylate-co-methyl methacrylate) and Polystyrene Grafts by Combination of Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization and Suzuki Coupling Processes, Y. Durmaz, E. L. Sahkulubey, Y. Yagci, E. Martinelli, G. Galli, Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry 2012, 50(23), 4911-4919
- New Photoinitiating Systems for Cationic Polymerization Acting at Near UV and Visible Range, Aydogan, Y. Y. Durmaz, M. U. Kahveci, M. Uygun, M. A. Tasdelen, Y. Yagci, Macromolar Symposia 2011, 308, 25-34.
- Film Formation of Poly(methyl metacrylate) Latex with Pyrene Functional Poly(divinylbenzene) Microspheres Prepared by Click Chemistry, Ugur, O. Yargi, Y. Y. Durmaz, B. Karagoz, N. Bicak, Y. Yagci, O. Pekcan, Polymer Composites, 2011, 32(6), 869-881.
- Modification of Poly(divinylbenzene) Microspheres by Hydrobromination-Click Chemistry Protocol and Their Protein Adsorption Properties, Y. Durmaz, B. Karagoz, N. Bicak, D. Odaci, E. Yalcinkaya, S. Timur, Y. Yagci, Macromolecular Bioscience, 2011, 11, 141-150.
- Perfectly Alternating Amphiphilic Poly(p-phenylene) Graft Copolymers by Combination of Controlled Radical Polymerization and Suzuki Coupling Processes, L. Sahkulubey, Y. Y. Durmaz, Y. Yagci Macromolecules 2010, 43, 2732–2738.
- Surface Modification of Cured Epoxy Network by Click Chemistry, Y. Durmaz, M. Sangermano, Y. Yagci, Journal of Polymer Science Part A:Polymer Chemistry 2010, 48, 2862–2868.
- Peculiarities of δ- and α-Relaxations in Polymers with Cyanobiphenyl Liquid Crystalline Side Chains of different Lengths, Salehli, S. Yildiz, H. Ozbek, E. Uykur, Y. H. Gursel, Y. Y. Durmaz, Polymer 2010, 51, 1450-1456.
- Synthesis and Characterization of Telechelic Polymers by Combination of Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization and Click Chemistry Processes, S. S. Okcu, Y. Durmaz, Y. Yagci, Designed Monomers and Polymers 2010, 13, 459-472.
- Synthesis and Characterization of Polystyrene Possessing Triptycene Units in the Main Chain by Combination of ATRP and Click Chemistry Processes, Ates, Y. Y. Durmaz, L. Torun, Y. Yagci, Journal of Macromolecular Science Part A: Pure and Applied Chemistry 2010, 47(8), 809-815.
- Photoinduced Decomposition of Dibenzoyldiethylgermane: A Photochemical Route to Polygermanes, Y. Durmaz, M. Kukut, N. Monszner, Y. Yagci, Macromolecules, 2009, 42, 2899-2902.
- Graft Copolymers by the Combination of ATRP and Photochemical Acylation Process by Using Benzodioxinones, Y. Durmaz, V. Kumbaraci, A. L. Demirel, N. Talinli, Y. Yagci, Macromolecules 2009, 42, 7343-3749.
- Sequential Photodecomposition of Bisacylgermane Type Photoinitiator: Synthesis of Block Copolymers by Combination of Free Radical Promoted Cationic and Free Radical Polymerization Mechanisms, Y. Durmaz, M. Kukut, N. Monszner, Y. Yagci, ournal of Polymer Science Part A:Polymer Chemistry . 2009, 47, 4793–4799.
- Functionalization of Poly(divinylbenzene) Microspheres via Click Chemistry Proceeses, Karagoz, Y. Y. Durmaz, B. N. Gacal, N. Bicak, Y. Yagci, Designed Monomer and Polymer 2009, 12, 511–522.
- Dielectric Relaxation in a Thermotropic Side Chain Liquid Crystalline Polymer with Nematic Reentrant Phase F. Salehli, S. Yıldız, H. Ozbek, Y. H. Gursel, Y Y. Durmaz, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 2008, 20, 35106.
- A New Photoiniferter/RAFT Agent for Ambient Temperature Rapid and Well-Controlled Radical Polymerization, A. Tasdelen, Y. Y. Durmaz, B. Karagoz, N. Bicak, Y. Yagci, Journal of Polymer Science Part A:Polymer Chemistry 2008, 46, 3387-3395.
- Diethoxy-azobis(pyridinium) Salt as Photoinitiator for Cationic Polymerization: Towards Wavelength Tunability by Cis-Trans Isomerization, Y. Durmaz, O. Zaim, Y. Yagci, Macrolomolar Rapid Communication 2008, 29, 892-896.
- Synthesis, Characterization and Thermally Activated Curing of Azobenzene Containing Benzoxazines, B. Kiskan, F. Dogan, Y. Durmaz, Y. Yagci, Designed Monomers and Polymers 2008, 11, 473–482.
- Synthesis of Block Copolymers by Combination of ATRP and Photoiniferter Processes, Y. Durmaz, B. Karagoz, N. Bicak, Y. Yagci, Polymer International 2008, 57, 1182–1187.
- Visible Light Initiated Free Radical Promoted Cationic Polymerization by Using Acylgermane Based Photoinitiator in the Presence of Onium Salts, Y. Durmaz, N. Moszner, Y. Yagci, Macromolecules 2008, 41, 6714-6718.
- Use of Atom Transfer Radical Coupling Reactions for the Synthesis of Various Macromolecular Structure, Y. Durmaz, B. Aydogan, I. Cianga, Y. Yagci, Polymer Preprints 2008, 49(2), 382-383.
- N-alkoxy Pyridinium Ion Terminated Polystyrene: A Facile Route to Photoinduced Block Copolymerization, Y. Durmaz, G. Yılmaz Y. Yagci, J ournal of Polymer Science Part A:Polymer Chemistry 2007, 45 (3), 423-428.
- Phenacyl Onium Salt Photoinitiators: Synthesis, Photolysis and Applications, Y. Yagci, Y. Durmaz, B. Aydogan, Chemical Record 2007, 7, 78-90.
- Polymers with Side Chain N-Alkoxy Pyridinium Ions as Precursors for Photoinduced Grafting and Modification Processes Y. Durmaz, G. Yilmaz, Y. Yagci, Macromolar Chemistry and Physics 2007, 208, 1737-1743.
- Studies on the Preparation of Telechelic Polymer by Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization and Cross Coupling Processes, Y. Durmaz, I. Cianga, Y. Yagci, e-polymer 2006, 50.
- Use of Atom Transfer Radical Coupling Reactionsfor the Syntheis of Various Macromolecular Structure, Y. Durmaz, B. Aydogan, I. Cianga, Y. Yagci, Controlled/Living Radical Polymerization: Progress in ATRP, Ed., K. Matyjaszewski, ACS Symp. Series No. 1023; Am. Chem. Soc.: Washington, DC. pp.171-188, (2009).
- The Use of N-Alkoxy Pyridinium Salts in Photoinitiated Polymerization and Synthetic Polymer Chemistry Applications, Y. Durmaz, G. Yilmaz, M. A. Tasdelen, B. Aydogan, B. Koz, Y. Yagci, Basics and Applications of Photopolymerization Reactions, Ed: J. P. Fouassier, X. Allonas, Research Signpost., Trivandrum (2009).
- Light Induced Processes for the Synthesis of Polymers with Complex Structures, Y. Durmaz, M. A. Tasdelen, B. Aydogan, M.U. KAhveci, Y. Yagci, New Smart Materials via Metal Mediated Macromolecular Engineering, Ed: E. Khosravi, Y. Svalyev, Y. Yagci, NATO Science for Peace and Security Series-A: Chemistry and Biology, Springer, Netherlands, Ch. 22, pp. 329-341 (2009).
- Wavelength Tunability in Photoinitiated Cationic Polymerization, B. Aydogan, B. Gacal, A. Yildirim, N. Yonet, Y. Durmaz, Y. Yagci Photochemistry and UV Curing: new trends, Ed. J.P. Fouassier, Photochemistry and Photobiology Research Signpost, Trivandrum, Ch. 17, pp. 187-201 (2006).
- Polymeric Nanopraticles for Ultrasound Imaging and Therapy, M.E.H. ElSayed, Y. Y, Durmaz, US Patent Publication Number: WO2013055791 A1